Monday, 14 October 2024

EHL79. Ham Baker & Co. c1890. Location: Grassington Road adjacent to the junction with Furness Road, Eastbourne. what3words: turns.gates.glory


Ham Baker & Co Engineers Westminster.  Note: there is also a small 'inspection' cover in the pavement at the base of this post which is also marked 'Ham Baker & Co Westminster.'

Condition: Good. Repainted by Bob Cookson.

The Eastbourne Local History Society Newsletter No 8 of January 1973 contained an article by the late Harold Spears titled ‘Some Notes on Historic Street Furniture’, which included a section on water carts.  The article was included in the 1984 booklet ‘Eastbourne’s Historic Street Furniture – Monuments & Memorials’ under the heading ‘Water Hydrant Posts.’  In the article Harold explained that the water hydrants (not to be confused with fire hydrants) were originally fitted with a swan neck pipe on the top that was used to fill the water tanks on the town’s water carts.  The water carts would then spray the roads in the town to keep the dust down in the pre tarmacked road era.  Harold states in the 1984 booklet that there were still eight in existence at that time in the following locations, Gildredge Road, Ashford Road, Granville Road, Vicarage Road, Gaudick Road, Grassington Road, St, John’s Road, Seaside (near the Archery Tavern).  He went on to explain he had contacted the authorities some years before due to the fact that the posts were very rusty, and subsequently they were painted a ‘biscuit’ colour, but had since been painted bright green in 1983.  In Autumn 2014, an article by Frank Woods titled ‘Street Furniture update’ appeared in the Eastbourne Local Historian No 173 (as the Newsletter is now called) that explained there were now only four of the water posts left.  These are located in Gildredge Road (corner of Station Street), Granville Road (corner of Blackwater Road), Grassington Road (corner of Furness Road), and St. John’s Road (opposite the Hydro Hotel).  In 2023 a new survey of the water posts was conducted by Kim Adams as part of a larger study led by Kevin Gordon of all of Eastbourne’s historic features.

Information from Grace’s Guide: -
1884 Formation of a partnership between Frederick Ham, William Baker, and Claude Sansom in London.
1893 Company founded by Frederic George Sison Ham, maker of gas street lamps.
1905 Sewage and water fittings.
1912 Resolution to wind the company up. 
1922 Sanitary and Hydraulic Engineers, Langley Green, Birmingham.
1926 Foundries and engineering works at Langley, Birmingham.
1982 Ham Baker & Co Ltd took the leading role in the marketing and selling of the Eurovalve product range on behalf of Eurovalve Ltd. 

Information from the Langley Local History Society Facebook page: -
Ham Baker & Co was established in Grosvenor Rd., Westminster, London in 1893.  Shortly afterwards they moved to a site next to the Titford canal (Birmingham), close to the coal mines of Langley and Rowley.  They set up their 'Municipal Engineering Company Works' at the end of Clay Lane.  They were general engineers and iron & brass founders, but specialised in articles used by local authorities including sewage disposal, water distribution & irrigation equipment, waterways, docks & later, power stations & oil supply equipment.  The works consisted of pattern shops, and brass and iron foundries capable of castings up to ten tons, as well as fitting and erection shops, all linked through rail tracks.  Their 1905 catalogue showed a wide range from small items such as valves, manhole covers and drains, to huge sluice gates (penstocks).  In later years they supplied oil depots & power stations, including the then Calder Hall Nuclear Power Station.  Items were shipped worldwide, many starting their journey from the goods yard of Langley Green station, and the company had agencies across the globe.  Local requirements were also met and much of the equipment at the Oldbury Sewage Works was supplied by them.  The company was bought out by Biwater Industries Ltd.  The original site is now a housing estate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed before publication to remove any spam or abusive language. Comments may take up to 48 hours before they appear on the Blog.

EHL71. J. Stone & Co Engineers Deptford London. c1890. Location: Granville Road near the junction with Carlisle Road, Eastbourne. what3words: haven.turns.reap

J. Stone & Co Engineers Deptford London.   Condition: Good. Repainted by Bob Cookson. The Eastbourne Local History Society Newsletter No...