Condition: Good. Repainted by Bob Cookson.
The Eastbourne Local History Society Newsletter No 8 of January 1973 contained an article by the late Harold Spears titled ‘Some Notes on Historic Street Furniture’, which included a section on water carts. The article was included in the 1984 booklet ‘Eastbourne’s Historic Street Furniture – Monuments & Memorials’ under the heading ‘Water Hydrant Posts.’ In the article Harold explained that the water hydrants (not to be confused with fire hydrants) were originally fitted with a swan neck pipe on the top that was used to fill the water tanks on the town’s water carts. The water carts would then spray the roads in the town to keep the dust down in the pre tarmacked road era. Harold states in the 1984 booklet that there were still eight in existence at that time in the following locations, Gildredge Road, Ashford Road, Granville Road, Vicarage Road, Gaudick Road, Grassington Road, St, John’s Road, Seaside (near the Archery Tavern). He went on to explain he had contacted the authorities some years before due to the fact that the posts were very rusty, and subsequently they were painted a ‘biscuit’ colour, but had since been painted bright green in 1983. In Autumn 2014, an article by Frank Woods titled ‘Street Furniture update’ appeared in the Eastbourne Local Historian No 173 (as the Newsletter is now called) that explained there were now only four of the water posts left. These are located in Gildredge Road (corner of Station Street), Granville Road (corner of Blackwater Road), Grassington Road (corner of Furness Road), and St. John’s Road (opposite the Hydro Hotel). In 2023 a new survey of the water posts was conducted by Kim Adams as part of a larger study led by Kevin Gordon of all of Eastbourne’s historic features.
Information from Grace’s Guide: -
1842 J. Stone and Co was founded by Josiah Stone in conjunction with George Preston, and John Prestige.
1867 Partnership change. '... the Partnership heretofore subsisting between Josiah Stone, George Preston, and John Prestige, all of High-street, Deptford, in the county of Kent, Millwrights, Engineers, Brass and Iron Founders, Coppersmiths, Braziers, and Workers in Metals, has (so far as relates to the said Josiah Stone) been this day dissolved by mutual consent...’
1884 Partnership change. '...the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, Frederick Philip Preston, John Theodore Prestige the elder, and Edwin James Preston, as Millwrights, Engineers, Brass and Iron Founders, Coppersmiths, Braziers, and Workers in Metals, at Deptford, in the county of Kent, under the style or firm of Josiah Stone and Co., has been dissolved, by mutual consent, as from the 31st day of December, 1883; and that the business will henceforth be carried on at the same place, under the same style, by the said Frederick Philip Preston, and Edwin James Preston, and John Theodore Prestige the younger, Sydney Prestige, and Reuben Thomas Preston...'
1898 Supplied the electric lighting for the coaches of the Barry Railway.
1903 Introduced the Stone-Lloyd automatic bulkhead doors for ships
1904 The company was registered on 7 May as a private company, J Stone and Company Ltd, to acquire the business of J. Stone and Co, brass, copper and iron workers, and mechanical and general engineers, of Deptford.
1905 The family offered shares in the company to the public. The company had many thousands of customers including many navies, shipping companies, the principal British railway companies, shipbuilding companies, and locomotive and railway carriage builders. They were the sole manufacturers for the UK and Colonies of the Stone-Lloyd system of hydraulically operated watertight doors for ships.
1912 Took control of Hart Accumulator Co Ltd.
1926 M. C. L. and Repetition Ltd was set up by J. Stone and Co, Hart Accumulator Co and D. P. Battery Co to manufacture "repetition" parts (principally nuts and bolts) but also made magnetos on a small scale.
1927 Agreement with S. A. F. T. regarding alkaline batteries.
1928 National Accumulator Co was formed to hold all the shares in D. P. Battery Co and a major interest in Hart Accumulator Co; the company was owned by J. Stone and Co and other competitors.
1929 Patent - Improvements in the electrolytic deposition of metal-on-metal tubes.
1929 Chloride Electrical Storage Co acquired National Accumulator Co. Agreement with Chloride Electrical Storage Co relating to batteries for train lighting which prohibited Stones from making lead-acid and alkaline batteries and assigned to Chloride the agreement with S. A. F. T. regarding alkaline batteries; Chloride was to supply these to Stones.
1934 The River Thames was home to specialists in propellers - J. Stone and Co at Deptford and Charlton made 4 of the largest propellers ever made for vessel #534 being constructed on the Clyde; Manganese Bronze and Brass Co made the other four.
1936 Demonstration of air conditioning for railway coaches by J. Stone and Co Ltd.
1937 Founders in non-ferrous alloys, engineers. "Ceralumium" High Tensile Aluminium Alloys. "Superston L189" Aluminium Bronze.
1946 Formed Stone-Fry Magnesium Ltd with Fry's Diecastings Ltd for the manufacture of pressure die-castings in magnesium.
1954 Chance Brothers' engineering division was acquired by J. Stone and Co (Holdings) Ltd.
1957 Bull's Metal and Marine, makers of propellers and ship windows, was a subsidiary of J. Stone and Co (Holdings) Ltd.
1958 Scheme of arrangement to effect a merger between Platt Brothers and Co (Holdings) and J. Stone and Co (Holdings); Stones became a wholly owned subsidiary of Platts; the company name was changed to Stone-Platt Industries.
1961 Railway, electrical and general engineers specialising in the manufacture of train lighting, air conditioning and refrigeration, speed indicators, automatic voltage regulators, semi-conductor power rectifiers, hydraulic power transmissions, pantographs, package type steam generators and non-ferrous nails and rivets.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments will be reviewed before publication to remove any spam or abusive language. Comments may take up to 48 hours before they appear on the Blog.