Nicholas Polhill bought some
land south of Cliffe High Street in Lewes in 1784 and, about two years later,
built an iron foundry and workshop there, said to have been the only one in
Sussex at the time and for forty years thereafter. The buildings stood on
the eastern side of the road afterwards known as Foundry Lane. This
foundry relied almost entirely on scrap metal, in contrast to the old Sussex
Wealden ironworks which used locally-mined ore and were, by this time,
virtually extinct. In 1811 Polhill died and the business was taken over
by James Sturt (with partner Thomas Gibson) until he also died in 1822, when it
was acquired by Ebenezer Morris (1801-1888). Ebenezer was only 20 and had
intended to be a farmer but, on the advice of his father, put the business in
the hands of trustees and went off to gain experience of the ironmongery trade
with a firm in Newgate Street, London. He returned to Lewes in 1823, and
as well as the foundry, added an ironmonger's shop and house at 41/42 Cliffe High
Street.
By the
mid-19th century, a great business opportunity arose when the 2nd Earl of
Burlingham (William Cavendish, 1808-1891, later the Duke of Cavendish) set
about the development of Eastbourne, and Ebenezer Morris was quick to take
advantage of this by setting up a branch in the town comprising a shop and a
smaller works. The fact that the Earl's surveyor was James Berry, Ebenezer's
brother-in-law, was no doubt an advantage. Large contracts for cast iron
work of all descriptions were secured. The Cliffe Foundry in Lewes closed
in 1900 and any future casting work required was sub-contracted out, which may
explain the different 'MORRIS (& SONS) EASTBOURNE' font types to be found. A detailed history of the firm can be found
via: thegilberts.net/FamMorrisIron

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments will be reviewed before publication to remove any spam or abusive language. Comments may take up to 48 hours before they appear on the Blog.