Marked 'John Needham & Sons Ltd, Stockport.'
From Grace’s Guide: -
John Needham & Sons of Portwood, Stockport.
Iron founders, manufacturers of grids and manhole covers.
1834 Company established.
1918 Christopher T. Needham is a partner in the firm. He
lives in Didsbury and is a local M.P.
1939 Colonel Joseph George Needham, governing director,
dies. He is son of John Needham and brother of Sir Christopher T. Needham and
Sir Richard A. Needham.
Eastbourne Water Works Co. Ltd.
A. J. Howard, General Manager, 14 Seaside Road.
Resident Engineer, James Creighton A.M.I.M.E., 1b Bedford Well Road, Eastbourne.
The origins of the Eastbourne Waterworks Company from ‘Bygone Eastbourne’ by J. C. Wright, 1902: ‘In very early times the inhabitants depended on private wells supplemented by the stream known as the Bourne which issued from a spring at Motcombe, and flowing along Watery Lane; now Water Lane (modern day Southfields Road), eventually found its way to the to the sea at Broadbourne. The inhabitants of Sea Houses were badly supplied with water for drinking purposes, and it was largely to provide for their wants that the late Mr. James berry, who was agent to his Grace the late Duke of Devonshire, determined to impound the water of the Bourne. This was in the forties (1840’s). Mr. Berry constructed as reservoir not far from the source of the stream; this reservoir may be seen opposite Motcombe Farm House (and can still be seen today, it what is now Motcombe Park). The water was conveyed to a pumping station at the corner of Susans Road, and for some time supplied the Sea Houses (Marine Parade area) and the inhabitants generally. Thus was started the original Eastbourne Water Company.
The rights of this company were taken over by the present company in 1859, when the latter was incorporated by Act of Parliament. Acting on behalf of the estate, the late Mr. G. A. Wallis turned his attention to a new source of supply – that of the Bedfordwell – and an engine (steam engine and pump) was put down at the old Waterworks (modern day Waterworks Road area). The works gradually increased as the requirements of the town grew; and in 1881 the present day Bedfordwell Works were erected. Within the last few years three new sources of supply have been secured, viz. at Friston, Holywell, and Wannock; the water is not only excellent in quality, but amply sufficient for the needs of the town.’

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments will be reviewed before publication to remove any spam or abusive language. Comments may take up to 48 hours before they appear on the Blog.