Tuesday, 2 July 2024

EHL410. Eastbourne Electric Light Co Ltd. 24 Carew Road, Eastbourne. what3words location: river.shakes.stroke





Grace’s Guide: Eastbourne Electric Light Co Ltd. 

c.1883 Established the first system of district electric lighting in the UK using underground mains. 

c.1883 The Lowrie-Hall system of electric lighting, using the Goulard-Gibbs transformer (otherwise spelled as Gaulard-Gibbs), was deployed by Hammond & Co (Electrical Engineers) for Eastbourne Electric Lighting Co; Mr William Lowrie was the chief engineer of Hammond and Co.

By 1889 mains of 20 miles length were in use.

From ‘Bygone Eastbourne’ by J. C. Wright published in 1912 the following chapter titled ‘The Pioneer of Electricity on the South Coast’ is reproduced in full: -

The inhabitant of old Eastbourne as he chatted in the chimney-corner during the dark days of winter and lit himself to bed by the aid of a farthing rushlight did not dream that posterity should possess a light which ‘without heat, without smoke, without smell, and shut up inside an empty bulb, should emit a beam with powers denied even to the solar ray.’  It is true these advantages were not secured all at once.  The Electric Light Company was unable to avail itself of the incandescent system for some time.  Founded in 1882, the company initiated an undertaking which has become of considerable importance to the town.  Soon after its formation, it applied to the Local Board for permission to carry its wires ‘over streets or over roofs of houses or in gas-tubing under streets for the purpose of carrying the electric light into the shops and houses of such ratepayers as may desire to use it.’  The company also asked the local authority if it was willing to try the ‘Brush Arc Light’ of 2,000 candle-power in a few selected parts of town.  Though there was some opposition, the request was grant by a majority of four and it was arranged that sixteen lamps should supersede ninety existing gas lamps. 

It is amusing to read the discussions of the Board respecting the new light.  It was stated the several companies were intending to compete with the original Eastbourne Company, that they would have the power to come and break up the roads, and could not be dislodged for twenty-one years.  A few members thought ‘the more the merrier,’ but others of a more serious turn of mind regarded the outlook with feelings far removed from equanimity, and the Clerk was instructed to watch the question in the interests of the Board.  The ‘watching’ was effectual; anyhow no rival company appeared on the scene.  With youthful ardour the company urged that the Board should allow them to light one or two streets.  But the Board, desiring above all things to appear fair, resolved to put the Gas Company on a similar footing.  Accordingly the Electric Light Company was asked to give a price for lighting up the route from the drinking fountain near the railway station to the top of Victoria Place; and the Gas Company to give a price for lighting the road from the Anchor Hotel to Mr. Dicker’s shop in South Street.  The Gas Company took offence, because, said one of the members, they had ‘had a nice thing for a long time, and did not want it taken away.’  So the company refused to give a price.  But an agreement was entered into with the rival company to light fourteen arc lamps in Devonshire Place, Terminus Road, and Seaside Road.  This arrangement was not carried out in its entirety, but Devonshire Place was actually lighted by the company for some time.  The direct current was at first employed, but this gave place to the alternating current, and along with it the system of incandescent lighting, the first place to be lit by the company being the new Town Hall.

As the pioneers of electric lighting on the south coast the company had frequently to pay heavily for their experience, for essentially it was an experimental company in its early days, and but for the assistance of capitalists introduced by Mr. Robert Hammond, the well-known consulting electrical engineer, under whose superintendence the company’s system was originally laid down, the undertaking might have collapsed.  After 1890 the company ‘turned a corner’ and began paying dividends, which in the year prior to its transference to the Corporation reached 10 per cent.  Many of the principal boroughs, including that of Dublin, and several of the London vestries visited Eastbourne to inspect the company’s operations, and at the opening of the works in Junction Road in 1885 the Chinese Ambassador, the Marquess T’Seng, was present. 

The original directors were Mr. George Boulton (chairman) and Messrs. J. G. Langham, Wm. Routledge, Caleb Diplock, and J. A. Skinner; and from the incorporation of the company Mr. Henry Towner acted as secretary and accountant. Latterly Mr. H. W. Wilkinson was the electrical engineer.  Since the undertaking came into the hands of the Town Council, it has been found necessary to erect new works at Roselands.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed before publication to remove any spam or abusive language. Comments may take up to 48 hours before they appear on the Blog.

EHL71. J. Stone & Co Engineers Deptford London. c1890. Location: Granville Road near the junction with Carlisle Road, Eastbourne. what3words: haven.turns.reap

J. Stone & Co Engineers Deptford London.   Condition: Good. Repainted by Bob Cookson. The Eastbourne Local History Society Newsletter No...