Mosaic tiles spelling out the word ‘Townsend.' The corner of Tideswell Road & Cavendish Place in the pavement at what would have been the
corner entrance to the original shop.
Historic
Context: There is a photograph of the bomb-damaged
‘Townsend Confectioner’ shop in 1940 in the book ‘Eastbourne A History’ by John
Surtees on page 101. On page 104 it
states ‘There was so much damage around Bourne Street that it was known as
‘Bomb Alley’, or ‘Hell Fire Corner’.
By 1965
the Kelly’s Directory of Eastbourne, Hailsham and Neighbourhood showed that 73
Cavendish Place was now ‘Barnes F. T. baker’.
From Kevin Gordon: Charlotte Townsend owned the property and she was trading as a baker from the 1880’s. Her son took over the business just before the WW1 and by the WW2 had other shops in Crown Street and the Willingdon Triangle. They clearly moved out to these other shops when their main shop in Cavendish Place was bombed.
References: -
‘Eastbourne A History’ by John Surtees.
Kelly’s Eastbourne Directory 1965.
‘Eastbourne A History’ by John Surtees.
Kelly’s Eastbourne Directory 1965.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments will be reviewed before publication to remove any spam or abusive language. Comments may take up to 48 hours before they appear on the Blog.