Tuesday, 16 July 2024

EHL239. Boundary Stones 'EADC' (Eastbourne Artisans Dwelling Company). c1876-1899. Corner of Firle Road and Hoad Road, Eastbourne. what3words location: delays.smiled.ourselves

 


Two small white marble paving stones engraved with the letters ‘EADC’ inserted into the edge of a remaining section of original Victorian red brick paving. 

The map of 1876 shows the furthest extent of housing development from Seaside into Chapel Drove (later renamed Firle Road) at that time.  The map shows six houses from the archway in this terrace towards what would later be Hoad Road, but the 1899 map shows just five, as does the more detailed map of 1910, which also shows a small section of land after the fifth house.  Therefore, I assume that the sixth house shown on the 1876 map may have been demolished leaving just a small section of land when the houses in Hoad Road were constructed between 1876 and 1899, and this is where the boundary markers were placed.

The building of Artisans Dwellings had its origins in a series of Parliamentary Acts starting in 1851, some of which are listed below.
Common Lodging Houses Act 1851 gave Boroughs and Vestries the power to supervise public health regarding 'common lodging houses' for the poor and migratory people.
Labouring Classes Lodging Houses Act 1851 gave Boroughs and Vestries the power to raise funds via local rates or Public Works Loan Commissioners to build lodging houses for unmarried working (as opposed to unemployed) people.
The Artisans and Labourers Dwellings Improvement Act 1875 allowed local councils to buy up areas of slum dwellings in order to clear and then rebuild them.
The Housing of the Working Classes Act 1885: In November 1883 the Conservative leader Lord Salisbury wrote a 16-page article titled ‘LABOURERS AND ARTISANS DWELLINGS’ in which he argued that the poor conditions of over-crowded working-class housing were injurious to morality and health.  On March 4th 1884 a Royal Commission was set-up.  It met twice a week in spring and summer of 1884; heard from witnesses, asked 18,000 questions, toured the slums, and interviewed doctors, policemen, Poor Law Board officials, clergymen, government officials and vestry sanitary committee chairmen.  Its report was published in 1885.
Richard Cross, the Home Secretary, introduced the Bill into the House of Commons on July 24th 1885 and Lord Salisbury did the same in the House of Lords. The Act allowed county districts to get loans from HM Treasury on the security of the rates. The Local Government Board was granted the power to force local authorities to shut down unhealthy houses, making landlords personally liable for their tenants’ health, and the Act also made it illegal for landlords to let property which was below elementary sanitary standards.
Housing of the Working Classes Act 1890: The previous 1885 Act was not a housing act. It empowered local authorities to condemn slum housing, but could not purchase the land and finance new housing. The 1890 Act gave urban authorities the legal power to buy land and to construct tenements and housing estates.
Housing of the Working Classes Act 1900: This Act was an extension to the 1890 Act and
gave local authorities the legal power to buy land through compulsory purchase to construct tenements and housing estates. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed before publication to remove any spam or abusive language. Comments may take up to 48 hours before they appear on the Blog.

EHL71. J. Stone & Co Engineers Deptford London. c1890. Location: Granville Road near the junction with Carlisle Road, Eastbourne. what3words: haven.turns.reap

J. Stone & Co Engineers Deptford London.   Condition: Good. Repainted by Bob Cookson. The Eastbourne Local History Society Newsletter No...