A selection of entries in Gowland’s, Pike’s, and Kelly’s Directories, plus newspaper notices for Alfred Isaac Fear: -
1895 Gowland’s page 282, Gas Fitters & Hot Water Fitters: Fear, I., 40 Pevensey Road.
Eastbourne Gazette, March 1895, ‘For Sale’ column: ‘1895 CUSHON Safeties from £9 15s. Sole Agent in Eastbourne for the celebrated James and Bayliss Thomas and Co’s Excelsior Cycles; very liberal discount – Apply to Alfred I. Fear, Cycle Agent, 40 Pevensey Road, Eastbourne.’
Eastbourne Gazette, June 1895, ‘For Sale’ column: ‘Special Offer, Wheeler & Wilson’s Sewing Machines at 20% discount for cash or on easy terms – Apply to their sole agent in Eastbourne, Alfred I. Fear, 40 Pevensey Road.’
1897-98 & 1902-03 Pike’s Blue Book page 338, Ironmongers & Hardware Dealers: Fear, A. I., 40 Pevensey Road & 56 Langney Road.
1907 & 1914 Gowland’s page 323 & 345, Gas Fitters & Hot Water Fitters: Fear, A. I., Pevensey Road; page 334 & 355 Ironmongers, Fear, A. I., 40 Pevensey Road & 1 Church Street.
Eastbourne Gazette, September 1916, ‘Public Notices’ column, relating to wartime restrictions: ‘We, the undersigned IRONMONGERS, owing to our depleted staffs and the greatly restricted lighting orders, have decided to close our respective Establishments on and after October 2nd each evening at 6, Saturdays and Wednesdays excepted. Soliciting the help of our customers by shopping in daylight and thus helping to carry on our various businesses to our mutual advantage.
Signed: -
E. MORRIS & SONS, 66 Seaside Road.
ARTHUR CAPLIN, Seaside Road.
W. S. SQUIRE, 22 Terminus Road.
ALFRED I. FEAR 40 Pevensey Road, and 1 Church Street.
HUBBARDS. LTD., 14 Cornfield Road.
NICHOLSON & ADE, 27 to 35 South Street.
W. H. BRADING & CO, Grove Road.
SMITH & CO, 89 South Street.
1920 Gowland’s page 372, Gas Fitters & Hot Water Fitters, and page 373 Ironmongers: Fear, A. I., 1 Church Street.
The Western Times, May 1920 notice advertising the sale of ‘B.S.A., Royal Enfield, Swift, Royal Ruby, Ariel etc’ cycles. Plus, tennis, golf, fishing, and cricket equipment from ‘Alfred I. Fear & Son, Cycle Stores, 16, The Arcade, Oakhampton and at Eastbourne.’
1934 Kelly’s Sussex page 859, Ironmongers – Retail: Fear Alfred Isaac, 1 Church St. Old Town, & 2 Borough Lane, Old Town, Eastbourne.
Census, Marriage, and Death information: -
1881 census: Address: 25 Olive Street, Ledbury, Herefordshire. Alfred, 18, Ironmongers Assistant, is living at the family home. Place of birth listed as Wotton-under-Edge, Gloucestershire.
1891 census: Address: 7 Bayford Road, Littlehampton. Alfred, 28, Foreman Ironmonger, listed as a Boarder.
1891 Marriage, Alfred Isaac Fear to Louie Smith at Horsham.
1901 census: Address: 23 Ersham Road (Hailsham), Alfred I. Fear, 38, Ironmonger, and wife Louie, 31, born Littlehampton. Children, Charles A Fear, 8, born Littlehampton, Eric F Fear, 7, born Littlehampton.
1911 census: Address: 1 Church Street, Eastbourne. Alfred Isaac Fear, 48, (Ironmonger Dealer / Employer), and wife Louie, 42. Children, Charles Alfred Fear, 18, (Engineer Motor Branch Eastbourne Corporation), Eric Frank Fear, 17, (Ironmongers Assistant), Leslie Roy Fear, 6, born Eastbourne. Plus, Nellie May Keeley, 18, (Servant, Housemaid Domestic), born Battle, Sussex.
1921 census: Address: 2 Borough Lane, Eastbourne. Wife Louie Fear, 52, (Home Duties), younger son Eric (Ironmonger, employed by A.I. Fear, Ironmonger) working at 1 Church Street, Leslie Roy, 16, (Poultry Keeping).
The 1921 census also shows that Alfred (Ironmonger / Employer, place of work 1 Church Street, Eastbourne) was visiting his brother in Exeter at this time with his eldest son Charles, who is listed as ‘Motor & Cycle Engineer, employed by A.I. Fear, 16 Arcade Oakhampton.’
6th May 1947 Alfred passed away at The Royal West Sussex Hospital Chichester. His final address was given as 60 Wick Street, Littlehampton.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments will be reviewed before publication to remove any spam or abusive language. Comments may take up to 48 hours before they appear on the Blog.